Ombudsman Person - Complaints from Students

When a complaint does not fit one of the published processes for adjudication, the student should contact the Ombudsman person for Students, Rachel Burnside, for guidance. (Their office is located in Danforth Hall and their email is  Acting in the Ombudsman capacity, they inform relevant parties to such complaints and refers for action, mediates, or otherwise investigates the complaint, providing appropriate documentation of the complaint and action taken.